Informed consent helps you learn about a clinical trial. During this process, the study coordinator will tell you about:
- The purpose of the clinical trial.
- The possible risks and benefits.
- Other treatment options you may have.
- Your rights as a participant in the clinical trial.
During the informed consent process, be sure to ask questions about anything that you don't understand. You can also:
- Ask questions any time during the study.
- Talk about the clinical trial with your doctor, your family and friends.
It's also important for you to know that:
- Being in any clinical trial is voluntary.
- You may or may not directly benefit from being in a clinical trial.
- If you join a clinical trial, you can quit at any time.
- If you decide to quit the clinical trial, it won't affect the quality of your care at your hospital or clinic.